The Olive tree is one of the most ancient species still in existence that has provided humans with many benefits. Apart from its beauty and ornamental value, the olive tree brings more than aesthetic pleasure to our lives. Olive oil, for instance, has long been known as a miracle product for good health and even as medicine. According to Olive’s dedicated website, olives are actually not fruit but are an “instrument used by nature to capture the sun’s rays” – making them truly unique.
Indeed, olive trees are quite particular thanks to their survival strategies. They are usually evergreen trees or sub-shrubs, characterized by dark green leaves (hence their name) that have evolved to minimize the impact of harsh environmental conditions, especially under drought conditions. Olive trees are classified in two main categories: tree olives and olive oil plants.
Olive leaves are either smooth or studded with small teeth, while olive fruit comes in colors ranging from green to black when ripe. These trees can grow up to 30 meters high, but they mostly take on a shrubby appearance . Olive is an annual plant that takes 6 years for its fruits to mature fully . The olive belongs to the Oleaceae family, which consists of about 40 genera and 700 species worldwide, mainly distributed around the Mediterranean Sea area.
- A 2010 study published by Molecular Nutrition & Food Research suggests that olive oil may reduce the risk of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), a condition tied with obesity that can lead to type 2 diabetes.
- Olive oil can prevent cardiovascular diseases such as heart attacks and strokes. Olive oil has been shown to improve circulation, which is extremely helpful in preventing strokes, heart diseases, and poor blood flow.
- Olive oil slows aging process and improves memory by increasing the brain’s usage of acetylcholine, a chemical that carries messages between nerve cells.
- The antioxidants found in olives protect against Alzheimer’s disease, according to a study conducted by the Dr Henry Doubleday Research Association, Australia.
- Olive leaf extracts have even proven effective in fighting cancer cells, most notably skin cancer cells.
- Olive tree wood is also used for making bows for string instruments , which are characterized by their durability.
Learn more about olive trees and how to grow your own by visiting https://www.trees.com/olive-trees#fun-facts
Epicurean Olive Oils in Camarillo, CA carries a variety of ultra-premium olive oils and traditionally barrel aged balsamic vinegars. From ultra-premium extra virgin olive oil, to fused and infused flavors from all around the world, you can add a delicious and healthy alternative to your every day diet. To learn more about the health benefits of olive oil, food pairings, and recipes, visit our website.